How we do it

The CVIF-DYNAMIC LEARNING PROGRAM is an innovative teaching approach synthesizing classical and modern pedagogical theories adapted to foster the highest level of learning, creativity, and productivity. It is a systems-based scientific approach for enhanced independent learning especially in the sciences, mathematics and humanities. With process-induced learning as a new paradigm superseding teacher-induced learning the DLP progressively allows a liberal spectrum of learners, from slow to fast, to achieve superior scholastic performance.

This framework of teaching was developed by Ramon Magsaysay awardees Dr. Christopher Bernido and Dr. Ma. Victoria Carpio-Bernido that aims to develop learning independence to significantly improve a student’s academic performance. The Bernidos have proven via scientific studies and through actual implementation that 70 percent student activity plus four academic days and zero homework will lead to better student performance.

This teaching framework aims to help improve the quality of Philippine education in the country despite the shortage of qualified teachers and lack of facilities in many schools.

The following are the Pedagogical Maxims of the Dynamic Learning Program:

  1. Learning by doing. For deep learning, students need to think with their own minds and work with their own hands.
  2. Less talking and more doing. For pit-stop efficiency, less talk is a must.
  3. Sound fundamentals. Virtuoso levels are reached only by being well-grounded in the fundamentals.
  4. Mastery not vanity. Simple problems completely and clearly solved have greater educational value than advanced problems sloppily analyzed with forced final answers.  An educational program must be adaptive because no two learning situations are ever completely alike.

Components which are essential in the implementation of the Dynamic Learning Program are the following:

  1. Parallel Learning Groups – Controlling Teacher Intervention.It is specifically designed to enable a schedule of classes that harmonizes with natural biological cycles. It places difficult subjects in the earlier morning periods when the students’ minds are still fresh and more capable of longer concentration time. Less mathematically rigorous subjects are scheduled during the latter part of the day.
  2. Activity-Based Multi-domain Learning. By design, 70% of the class time is spent with the students performing individual tasks aimed to help him to be self-sufficient as a problem solver. The remaining 30% of the class time is devoted to the session led by the expert teacher for reinforcing right principles uncovered, or correcting wrong impressions and interpretations of the subject matter. During this time, the students who had performed the activity and tried answering the questions and exercises, will be in a state of mind that fosters attentiveness and deep learning.
  3. In-school Comprehensive Student Portfolio. This is a compilation of all the activity sheets accomplished by the student in school, per subject in a folder portfolio. The reflective teacher can thus make use of this as a highly effective evaluative tool for continuing enhancement of learning processes.  The in-school comprehensive student portfolio may only be brought home by the students at the end of the Academic Year.
  4. Strategic Study and Rest Periods.This is a requirement not to provide extra after-school work or homework. DLP also requires for Wednesdays to be a MAPEH day in order to provide a venue for students to relax and take a break from the more rigorous MT &ThF schedule. Adequate rest and sleep is also encouraged for students.